Guiding Principles – MSCR is a department of the School District and we all have an obligation to work together to improve the school experience and success or our young people.
To provide a coordinated, safe, supervised, supportive place for middle and high school students to go during non-school hours that fosters and enhances:
- Student attachment to school through positive interactions with peers, school staff and, volunteers.
- Student achievement and attendance by providing a variety of programs that focus on academic achievement, social-emotional skill development, and recreational skills.
- Student’s world view by exposure to a variety of activities.
What We Do
MSCR afterschool programming is drop in and open to all students in the school, operating mostly Mondays through Thursdays. MSCR is not a child care program and does not operate on all school days.
Excellence, Belonging, Racial Equity, and Social Justice, Voice, Focus, Creativity
21st Century Learning Center
- 21st Century Community Learning Centers provide academic enrichment opportunities during non-school hours for children.
- Our program helps students meet state and local standards in core academic subjects, such as reading and math by offering a broad array of enrichment activities that can complement their regular academic programs.
- For more information on the structure and purpose of the 21st Century Learning Centers refer to the standards and examples web links.
- The first period of our after-school program every Monday-Thursday is academic time. The primary activity during this time is Study Space, a drop-in space for homework and quiet reading that meets every Monday-Thursday. An alternate activity is always offered for Academic Club students who do not have homework, which includes art, puzzles, current events, and trivia that fosters academic enrichments.
Badger Bus provides bus service for our students following specified bus routes
MSCR Afterschool creates specialty clubs for students that allow them to connect with other students who share common interests in creating community and friendship. Through these clubs, MSCR staff encourage learning, sharing, and exploration.
- Black Student Union partnered with Urban Triage LLC
- Girls Inc. partnered with Girls Inc.
- Hitterz Hip-Hop Dance partnered with The Hitterz Collective LLC
- Juventude partnered with Centro Hispano
- Nature Club partnered with the University of Wisconsin - Madison
- Resonance-Hip-Hop Song Writing Club partnered with Oddly Arranged Media LLC
MMSD middle school sports teams are operated by MSCR with staff members serving as coaches. MSCR sports are intended to emphasize fun, learning the game, inclusion, and sportsmanship. MSCR middle school sports are co-ed and are available for 7th and 8th-grade students. Speak with your school’s MSCR Site Director to learn more about the sports offered at your school.
- Flag Football
- Boys Basketball
- Girls Basketball
- Track and Field
- Ultimate Frisbee
Afterschool sports availability may vary some from school to school dependent on student interest, availability of coaches, and practice space.